Okay guys. Big things are happening today. BIG. I mean we’ve got the turkey coming your way and we all know that’s what Thanksgiving is all about! This Spicy Rubbed Butterball Turkey is going to be the star of your Thanksgiving table. I mean, just take a peek at what it looks like! Gorgeous, right? Just give me a bowl of gravy to go along with it and leave me be!
I’m all about spice rubs and this turkey is rocking the spice rub like whoa!! Brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and more. I mean, it’s packed with flavor from front to back and the drippings will make for an intensely delicious gravy!
So what’s next? I mean as much as I’d like to skip straight to dessert, there are some other side dishes that are currently very hot!! It’s not a What’s Gaby Cooking Thanksgiving without Roasted Brussels, Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Charred Green Beans and Mascarpone Mashed Potatoes. I think farmers markets are always on trend, so don’t be nervous to grab some of your favorite produce and jazz up any of these dishes. The green beans would be awesome with a sprinkle of pom seeds. And both the mashed potatoes would be amazing with some fresh herbs on top. Or… if you’re feeling fancy, fry up a few sage leaves and crumble those on top. That would make for an epic crowd pleaser!!
And for dessert… don’t judge me but I’m skipping the traditional pie this year and going with a Pumpkin Pie Sundae!! It’s pretty genius if you ask me!
But wait!! What about the drinks?! There needs to be some wine involved in this meal and while I’m a fairly awesome wine consumer, I’m not super skilled at picking out wines to go with my meal. But never fear… check out the Woodbridge’s Pinterest page for wine descriptions and pairings. for everything you need to know about picking some delicious wines to compliment your Thanksgiving table.
And if you need any additional advice this Thanksgiving, be sure to Butterball It and visit Butterball.com – the first turkey search engine powered by the wisdom of the Turkey Talk-Line.
It’s the one stop shop for all your Thanksgiving needs – just Butterball It!
Roast Turkey with Spice Rub
Use this simple technique to spice up your Thanksgiving
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 3+ hours
3 tbsp. firmly packed light brown sugar
3 tbsp. kosher or sea salt
3 tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. roasted cumin
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 (12 to 14 lb.) Butterball® Whole Turkey, thawed if frozen
6 tbsp. canola oil
1. Combine all ingredients except turkey and oil. Blend well. (May be prepared 2 to 3 days in advance. Store mixture in an airtight container at room temperature.)
2. Remove neck and giblets from body and neck cavities of turkey; refrigerate for another use or discard. Turn wings back to hold neck skin in place. Return legs to the tucked position, if untucked. Place turkey, breast side up, on flat rack in shallow roasting pan.
3. Brush outside of the turkey with half of the oil; rub outside and inside cavity with spice mixture. Cover and refrigerate 12 hours or overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 325°F.
5. Brush spiced turkey with remaining 3 tbsp. of oil. Bake approximately 3 hours*, or until meat thermometer reaches 180°F when inserted in the thickest part of the thigh. Remove turkey from oven.
6. Let turkey stand 15 minutes before carving.