One of the best parts about Thanksgiving is getting your home holiday-ready. There’s a festive and warm feeling that wraps you up when you walk into someone’s cozy home. The smell in the air whether it be from a candle burning, bubbling cider, or a turkey in the oven. The colors that catch your eye from wreaths hanging, colorful floral centerpieces or decorative pumpkins.
Whatever it may be, there’s no denying that decorating for the holidays is a blast and with Pinterest so readily available it’s simple to get creative and whip up some crafty projects that will have you feeling like a professional! The Butterball Pinterest page is a wonderful tool to help you brainstorm ideas and gain inspiration not only related to food, but holiday decor as well.
This season we’re seeing lots of burlap, metallics, items from nature (think twigs, branches, leaves), and personalized touches.
- Wrap burlap around a wreath form (found at most craft stores)
- Make large burlap bows and tie around back of guest’s chairs or decorate the front door.
- Burlap tablecloths and table runners are quite popular this season. You can purchase burlap at most fabric stores and design your own table runner or you can find them pre-made. You can also cut burlap down (roughly 18” x 12” or a size that appropriately fits your table settings) and use them as placemats. This is an economical yet stunning way to dress up your table.
- Metallics and gold leafing are a great way to dress up (let’s be honest) everything. With a can of metallic gold or silver spray paint or regular craft paint you can quickly, affordably, and easily take most any craft project to the next level.
- Find an interesting arrangement of pumpkins in varying sizes and spray paint them gold or silver to create a striking centerpiece. Place them at different heights to create visual interest. You can also do this with any gourd or squash.
- If you’re able to find inexpensive vases or candles and want to dress them up a bit, you can add simple metallic touches or use a gold leafing technique to add some glitz. Check your local craft store for supplies!
- Branch centerpieces become a simple accent when you gather armfuls of branches and arrange freely in vases.
- Pine cone place cards are a fun way to dress up a table. Embellish the tips of the pine cones with glitter glue to create some sparkle. Use a small piece of cardstock and write guest’s names on them, placing them in the pinecone to complete the look.
- Leaves become a free solution when decorating the table when you write the names of each guest on one and have it act as a place card! Writing the names using a gold metallic pen or marker should do the trick.
This time of year is all about being with loved ones. What better way to show this and warm the hearts of your guests than by decorating your home with inspiring paper garlands or on-trend wooden signs with sweet messages. You can buy them at most craft or home stores or even create a custom message yourself using stencils.
Gathering around the table for a meal is a time for bonding and memories. To add to this, you can make or purchase little cards that say “I am thankful for” and have them placed at each seat. As guests arrive at the table, they can fill their card out and write what they’re thankful for. During or after dinner, everyone can read theirs to the group. This is a lovely way to get the conversation flowing and reflect on the meaning of the holiday.